This home exercise program will give you a total body workout. All that is needed is an exercise mat, a theraband and a step. It is important that these exercises be pain free and if not please consult your Physiotherapist.
Please read the below notes on each exercise before attempting this program.
PRESS UPS: x10 repetitions, 1-3 sets.
- Keep your hips in line with your shoulders and ankles, i.e. do not sag towards the floor. If you can not achieve this, then perform this exercise on your knees or reduce the number of repetitions.
- Keep your shoulders down away from your ears.
- Keep your chin tucked in and eyes on the floor just above your hands.
- Progression – Begin on your knees and progress to toes once 3 sets of 10 repetitions can be easily achieved.
BRIDGING: x10 reps, 1-3 sets. Push through your heels as you lift your feet.
- Squeeze your gluteals as you lift your hips off the floor.
- Keep your feet flat on the floor throughout i.e. do not lift your toes.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Progression – hold one foot off the floor so you are pushing through one foot.
PLANK: 30 seconds 1-3 repetitions.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed and eyes on the floor.
- Do not allow your hips to sag towards the floor as you hold the plank.
- Progression – Do this on your toes (If you are able to do push ups on your toes, try the plank also on your toes).
THERABAND TRICEP: 10-20 repetitions each arm, then swap sides and repeat.
- Pick a coloured theraband that is strong enough to feel your triceps are working after 10 repetitions.
- Keep your head up looking straight ahead.
- Progression – To incorporate your core muscles, perform this whilst sitting on a swiss ball or standing on one leg.
LUNGES: 10 repetitions each leg, 1-3 sets
- Keep your chest up, looking straight ahead.
- Keep the front knee cap tracking over your 2nd toe as you lunge down.
- Option is to do walking lunges in a straight line, or else alternating legs standing in the one spot.
- Progression – hold a weight (as pictured).
TOE TAPS: 5-10 each leg
- Start with both feet up with your knees above your hips and feet level with your knees (“table top”), gently lower one foot down to the floor to tap your toes then return back up.
- If you feel strain in your lower back, try flattening it into the floor. If you still feel strain then do not continue with this exercise.
ROTATOR CUFF: 10 repetitions, 1-3 sets each arm.
- Keep the working elbow by your side bent at 90 degrees.
- Keep your shoulders rolled gently back.
- Pull out on the band away from your belly button with your thumb towards the ceiling and return (keep your elbow bent at 90 degrees).
- Progression – use a heavier theraband.
CALF RAISES: 10- 20 repetitions, 1-3 sets
- Rise up and down slowly, do not bounce.
- Progression – start this exercise standing on the floor and then progress to the step (as pictured) once you can easily to 3 sets of 10 reps. Then try standing on one leg only.
If you require further information, please contact our Physiotherapists at InnerStrength of Bayside on 8555 4099.
Look out for the next Express Full Body Workout coming soon!